The struggle is real… Where did that phrase even originate? Because I feel like it best fits here. Balancing business with a baby as a work-from-home entrepreneur is not for the faint of heart. You’ll never quite feel like you’re giving one side or the other enough. When you’re killing it work-wise, you’ll feel guilty you had your computer out a little too much that day. When your email inbox hits an embarrassing number of unopened emails, you’ll feel guilty (and likely panicked) that you just didn’t have enough time for work between naps, meals, play time, etc. The struggle is real, friends. But, it’s ok. One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned as a mom of two is to give myself grace. And that’s my first tip! Read on for what I’ve learned as a mompreneur thus far.
Balancing Business With A Baby
- Give yourself grace. If you’re constantly feeling guilty about not being present enough with your baby or not putting in enough hours on the computer, step back and acknowledge that you’re doing your best. Then, accept that it’s never going to feel “even”. Prioritizing and delegating (more below) to get a couple big tasks done a day will help you feel better about work, while not taking too much time away from your little one who needs and wants your attention. But, at the end of the day, you simply have to give yourself grace. Know that tomorrow is a new day to get it right.
- Prioritize! Start each day with a prioritized list of tasks so that when you do have time during naps or at night, you immediately know your action plan to get your work done.
- Consider sneaking in some work during the newborn phase when all they do is sleep. Don’t get me wrong, newborn snuggles are the BEST and you should soak in all those sweet moments that you can. But, I found myself quite a few times with noting to do during my “maternity leave” when someone else was holding my little one and family had taken care of the housework for me. I used that time to start slowly working on things so that I wasn’t so overwhelmed trying to pick back up with work.
- Invest in some activity-focused toys. A walker or a jumper are great for letting your baby entertain themselves while you get work done. My first was never was a fan of his jumper. But, put him in the walker and he would zoom around happily. Bonus, the activity will help them nap better too, so more work time for you!
- Embrace the late nights. When it comes to balancing business with a baby, you might be pulling some late nights. But know that this season will pass. And if you are passionate about spending quality time with your baby when they are awake, then business can wait until night when they’re sleeping. It’s just a season, mama.
- Delegate and automate! Sometimes things that don’t take a ton of time end up adding up and being major time-suckers. Does social media feel like it always takes a while these days? Spend Monday scheduling your social media for the week. That way it’s done and you don’t have to think about it beyond that. Or maybe social media is something you want to hand off altogether. Your time is valuable. And if it’s not being spent on your money-making tasks, hand some things off to those who specialize in that task. It will free you up for the more important things.
Pin these tips on balancing business with a baby for later!
Anything you’d like to share fellow work-from-home mamas (and dads) on balancing business with a baby? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!