Happy New Year! Truth be told, I’m not big on New Year’s Resolutions. However, drinking enough water is something I often struggle with. So, I’ll take the opportunity for a little extra motivation to get back on track with this healthy habit!
I don’t know about you, but I get so wrapped up in my day that hours can go by in a flash. You know those days when you’re in the zone and look up to realize it’s 2:00 and you haven’t had lunch yet? That used to happen to me all the time. Plus, I would also realize I only had a few sips of water that morning. As someone who’s really into health and fitness, I would cringe at these bad habits of mine and vow to do better. Over time, I’ve figured out a few tricks that work really well for me. My hope is that these tips on how to drink more water as a busy creative are helpful for you too.
Pin this post for later!
How To Drink More Water As A Busy Creative
- Hold the coffee and drink a big glass of water right when you wake up. I know it’s tempting to reach for that cup of coffee right away. But, I find that if I drink a big glass of water right when I wake up before my morning coffee, I’m more likely to keep sipping on water throughout the day.
- Keep a big glass of water (or bottle) next to you all day while you’re working. Whether you’re too (let’s be honest) lazy or get too caught up “in the zone” while working to get up for a glass of water, I have found that keeping a big water bottle next to me at all times while I’m working helps encourage me to drink more water.
- Set a timer to remind yourself it’s time to drink water. For those of you who get laser focused and all of a sudden an hour passes (this is me), set a timer on your phone to remind you that you need to take a break and rehydrate. And, maybe even have a snack.
- Work out, go for a walk or do something active. When I’m working out, I’m constantly reaching for my water bottle. Whether or not you’re into fitness, even just getting out for a walk mid-day can help you refocus for the rest of the work day and encourage you to drink more water.
- Eat spicy food! I love spicy food and love how adding something spicy to my meal helps motivate me to drink more water. If you’re not into spicy things, this tip isn’t for you. But if you’re a lover of hot sauce and Sriracha like me, adding a little heat always does the trick.
- Make it fun by infusing your water. A lot of people don’t drink enough water because they just don’t enjoy the taste (or lack thereof). Add some fresh mint leaves, lemon, cucumber, or other fruits + flavors you enjoy to make it tastier. You can even make this ahead of time in a big pitcher and keep it in your fridge. I’ve also done this with La Croix if I’m feeling I want something a little bubbly. But, I don’t recommend drinking more than one sparkling water a day.
- Hold it in your hand. This sounds silly, but I’m more likely to finish a drink if I’m constantly holding it in my hand. When you’re done working for the night and relaxing on the couch, lounge on your sofa with your water in hand. Not having to get up or reach for it makes it easier to drink!
- Match every snack/meal with at least one glass of water. This is so good for your overall health and digestion. Plus, it’s also an easy way to ensure you drink more water. If you’re sitting down to have a meal, don’t get up until you finish your big glass of water. If you’re having a snack or two throughout the day, match each snack with a glass of water.
Do you have any tips to share for busy creatives on how to drink more water? I’d love to hear them in the comments!